Friday, June 15, 2012

The World of Baseball through My Eyes..

Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd;
Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack,
I don't care if I never get back.
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win, it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game!!!!!!


Most people know this popular seventh-inning stretch number, traditionally sung at one of Americas favorite pastime sports...

BASEBALL













Just a few fun facts:

On June 19, 1846, the first official baseball game was officially recorded in U.S. history. 

In the mid-1850s, a baseball craze hit the New York metropolitan area, and by 1856 the journals were calling it the "national pastime" or "national game". 

And the National League was founded in 1876.


Football has always been my favorite sport to be around or watch on TV, and baseball my second, but over the past year, I have been introduced to a whole NEW WORLD of Baseball.

And that new world has been introduced to me by my amazing fiance, we will refer to as, Coach. 



Isn't he HANDSOME??

Coach, is the 16U Manager for a travel baseball organization called Team Elite. They travel to many different college campuses and play in national events to showcase the players skills to college and professional scouts. 

And let me tell you, these kids have got TALENT!! Before I had ever been to a tournament, I would hear about how awesome some of the kids were, and then I got to see for my own self the first time I ever went! 

And what an amazing opportunity these kids have, to present their skills, to have a chance to fulfill their dreams of playing at a college level and even playing in the pros!

Not too long ago, one of my dear clients told me it took a special woman to be a coach's wife.  Now I completely understand why she added 'special' in that sentence.

Before now, I don't think I ever thought twice about what it took to have a team or play a game of baseball. I mean, I played softball but obviously I wasn't on the coaching side of it. 
(And let me tell you-- I will just stick to the hair cutting and let the coaches coach!)

There are times of numerous workouts.. long practice hours put in by the players and the coaches.. there is travel time to these tournaments and in bigger showcase tournaments, if they keep winning, it could last up to almost 10 days! (Last year, Coach's 16's got invited to play in the Junior Olympics in Jupiter, Florida and they placed 2nd in the whole tournament! Whoo hoo!!) There is time put into making rosters for each game, (and we had a slight panic attack when Coach had been entering in his rosters, for the Perfect Game in Fort Myers this year, and he accidentally cut the wireless connection off to his laptop. BUT good news, we saved it!) there are pitching rotations, phone calls from parents and scouts, and emails come in quite often that can't go unanswered.

Did I mention he has 3 teams??

There are nights I come in from work, and my man has already been to a practice or come home from a weekend of games, and he is on the laptop answering emails, then talking to parents, and even talking to his players. It's definitely not just time on the field, it's time spent there as well. 

And I promise I haven't forgotten the parents! These tournaments are HARD CORE for two months at a time.. My question to Coach was, "How do they have all that time to take off to be at all the tournaments?" His response.. "They do exactly what my parents did and save every sick day, every vacation day, every day they can."

How awesome is that to have supportive parents like that, or what?!

Coach is so passionate about working with these kids and helping them get to the next level of their game. I think he knows he is in the right place, doing the right thing right now, being a mentor to these kids. I have seen him in action and it's so special getting to see him do his thing. I know these kids look up to him and have so much respect for him as their coach. 

And I am NOT gonna lie.. it has DEFINITELY taken some time to get used to with Coach's schedule and has been hard at times, but I see his joy in being a coach and helping these kids and seeing them grow in what they love doing, and I wouldn't change a thing.
(There may be someone reading this right now that is a coach's wife that would totally agree with me on that. )

It's so rewarding for me to be able to watch my future husband do what he LOVES doing and is passionate about.. I look at him and think one word.. BLESSED!


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed By Poppiness Designs