Monday, May 13, 2013

I miss...

My Paw-Paw Smokey.

One of the many Christmas' at their house. This was the living room and the same room that became Nanny and Big Nanny's room. 

He is the first person who came to my mind when I read the topic for Sunday (a day late) of the May Challenge.

When I was about 6, me, Mom, Dad, and my brother moved into our new home, that my Paw-Paw helped build, right down the dirt road from Nanny and Paw-Paw's house. She and my great grandmother, Big Nanny, had their room and Paw-Paw had his room in the front. It was a narrow room with a huge, glass front window that faced the front yard and the main road. All that was in the room if my memory serves me correct was the TV, a couch, an end table, and his recliner. While he was reclined back in his chair watching TV, I would comb his hair. Maybe this is where doing hair originated from. I remember doing this every time I would visit. 


I remember when he and Nanny would pack us up in their big blue Chevy van and we would head to Daytona Beach. Me, my brother, Nanny, Paw-Paw, Mom, my cousin Jaime and her Dad. One of those years, I was introduced to the sting of a jelly fish. NOT FUN!  





Such fun!!

He also had a wood working shop where he built many things. He was so talented in what he could make! I can remember going in the shop with him and there would be saw dust everywhere!

When I was in the 4th grade, Paw-Paw passed away. He had a heart attack and was in the hospital, but was given a good report to recover. From what I was told, his appetite was quite a healthy one while he was there! I vaguely remember going up to Nanny's at one point while she was home and he was in the hospital. I asked how he was, she told me he was doing very good and the doctors were going to let him come home the next day. And the next thing I remember, is Mama Jane coming to our house to help my Mom tell me and my brother, that Paw-Paw had gone to Heaven. 

I can kind of remember his laugh.. and what helps me to smile is that one day, I will not only be able to hear him laugh again, but I will be able to see him and hug him!

These are my 3 of Paw-Paw's sons.. my uncle Norman, my Dad, and my Uncle Duane.. and did you do a double take?? Because I do every time I see him! He looks so much like Paw-Paw!

There are more pictures of me and Paw-Paw and I can't wait to get my hands on them! There is one I vividly remember.. it's just me and him, in his and Nanny's kitchen.. I'm very young, sitting in his lap and he has the biggest grin on his face.  



3 comments:

Lyndsy said...

I have also been stung by a jelly fish. So not fun! I don't know about you, but my scar lasted forever! I had this ring around my leg for months and months.

Megan said...

such sweet memories!

Paige (The Last Doughnut) said...

I DID do a double take! Your uncle looks exactly like your grandfather! Thanks for sharing your memories with us! Made me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed By Poppiness Designs