Monday, August 5, 2013

Something new in the kitchen!!

 Well I did something today I have never done before... I made Pear Preserves!

I mentioned in this post there were tons of pears on the tree and I wanted to try and make something and well, I found the following recipe and got to work yesterday!




You will need:

6 Cups peeled, cored, and sliced pears
1 Cup water
1 TBSP lemon juice
1 (2 oz) package powdered fruit pectin
8 Cups white sugar
2 TSP ground allspice
2 TSP ground nutmeg
1/2 Cup brown sugar

Sterilize jars and lids in boiling water for at least 10 minutes. Let simmer while making jam.

In a large saucepan, combine pears, water, and lemon juice. 
Cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in pectin, and bring to a full boil Stir in the white sugar, and continue boiling and stirring uncovered for 1 minute, until sugar is dissolved. Remove
from heat, and stir in brown sugar, allspice, and nutmeg.

Quickly fill jars to within 1/2 inch of the top. Wipe rims clean, and top with lids. Process jars in boiling water for 10 minutes to seal.




I used my Pampered Chef apple slicer and then chopped with a knife. 

All ready to go! The amount chopped ended up being perfect, especially since the pears I picked to use were all sizes.

Stirring in the pectin. 

I didn't get a picture adding anything else because I was a little worried it would thicken up too much as I was trying to get all the jars filled. 


Some things I learned:

  • I could have easily had two more jars of the preserves. Next time, I will have more jars prepared. I just put the remainder in a larger mason jar we had and put it in the fridge.
  • When I was adding the pectin, I realized the box I purchased (which is the only one I could find) it was 1.75 oz. Not ever doing this before I wasn't sure if that .25oz would actually make a difference. Not to toot my own horn but I think they turned out pretty dang good for being the first time.
  • I did not process the jars in boiling water. After speaking with my MIL I followed her plan of letting the jars simmer in water, just above the rim, for 5-7 minutes. She told me after they started cooling I would here the lid 'pop' and I could feel the 'bubble' on the lid go down. EVERYTHING happened just as she said!! I was also a little nervous with the whole glass, boiling, making sure the glass didn't get cool too fast. Very nerve wrecking for me.

And just to give you a mental picture of what was going on in the kitchen as far as that last statement-- We have granite countertops and I was not satisfied with one towel down. I had pot holders lined up with three thick kitchen towels placed on top of that. Told ya I was a little nervous but all ended up being great!



Coach and I both tried the preserves on a piece of toast, and although I have never had it before, I thought it was good and so did he! I will be sharing with the family for feedback for next time.

Happy Canning!


3 comments:

Julie Jinks said...

Yum Yum! It looks so good! You do well at everything you try :}I made blueberry jam ....or I should say attempted to make blueberry jam. It didn't turn out like the picture, but it tasted pretty good on a pb&j.

Rachel said...

Canning is a nervewracking process for me, too. I've never yet been brave enough to do it without the company of an expert!

Health, Love & Fire said...

Hey, I nominated you for a Liebster Award! I just love your blog & am excited that you're in to canning too! Check it out @ http://swallowsjourneys.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed By Poppiness Designs