Thursday, July 17, 2014

DIY Tinted Mason Jars

So I mentioned in this post about some crafty items for the church festival and that I would be treating you guys to a tutorial. 
Love some mason jars and have talked to Amber several times about the tinted ones that I had been seeing around. 
Enter a trip to Michael's.

YOU WILL NEED::

Americana Gloss Enamels
Liquitex Glazing Medium
mason jars
glitter (color of your choice)
Mod Podge Gloss

diy mason jars

I started off with the smaller mason jars just because it was my first time at this and I wouldn't be wasting too many if I messed them up.

You need to mix about 3/4 gloss paint to a 1/4 glazing medium. 
(I would also recommend mixing it together first in something else. See where there streak is on the side? I had to scrape that off so the paint would be an even color on the jar.)

mason jars diy

diy mason jars

I then swirled the jar slowly making sure the entire inside was covered. 



 I then flipped the jars over to let the excess paint run out. You can check them every so often and move them around so there won't be a ton of excess built up around the lip. 
THE WAY THE PAINT IS ON THE JAR IS HOW THE PAINT WILL BE AFTER YOU BAKE IT.
Turn the jars back over after about an hour or until the paint does not run back to the bottom of the jar after flipping it upright.


I followed the instructions on the back of the Americana Gloss bottle::

LET THE JARS DRY FOR 4 DAYS
BAKE 30 MINUTES AT 275* IN NON-PREHEATED OVEN
COOL WITH OVEN DOOR OPEN

And there you have your finished, tinted mason jar. 
Do not eat/drink out of these.

I also got a little creative with Mod Podge and glitter.


Again I recommend mixing the Mod Podge and glitter together in another cup and then pour into mason jar.


Swirl until all mason jar is covered.

diy mason jars
See how the glitter is pretty thick in one place?

diy mason jars

You can add as much or little glitter as you want depending on how sparkly you want it to be. 
Turn those upside down as well.
Once the excess was out, these pretties went to the back porch and dried pretty quickly in the heat.



I didn't want to spend a fortune buying every color soooo I recommend to get yo mix on!
What does pink and blue make?

diy mason jars


Purple.


After everything dried and baked, I added a few finishing touches. 
As you can see, there was twine, buttons, ribbon, charms, puff paint, and wire.


One of the girls from work bought the mason jar on the left for her daughter's shabby chic themed 2 year birthday party. The pictures from her party were SO adorable and it went right along with the decor. 
I definitely see these working as art brush holders, even make up brushes, pens/pencils, and so forth.

signature

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed By Poppiness Designs