Monday, February 2, 2015

Spinach & Artichoke Dip


I'm not really sure what got into me yesterday, but I came home from the grocery store and stayed in the kitchen for several hours. 
One of the things I did want to do was have Coach some dip for the Superbowl. For some reason, I had Velveeta cheese (no clue why this was in the pantry), picked up a can of Rotel tomatoes and chips at the grocery store and Coach had him a little snack for the game!

I wanted to have a healthier dip so I found this original recipe and oh my it was DELICIOUS! This one is definitely going in favorites recipe folder.
If you checked out the original already, you would see it called for cashews.. well, in my haste to get to the grocery store, I only read the ingredients and decided I didn't want cashews in my dip.. lesson learned, I will start reading the instructions as well.
I didn't fret tho! Out of no where came this brilliant moment where I decided I would replace the cashew flour with greek yogurt. I don't think that's actually Paleo and that's why I didn't call my version "Paleo".

Ingredients:

2 (14 oz) cans artichoke hearts, chopped
16 oz frozen spinach
1 cup cashews, roasted and unsalted (replaced with Fage Greek Yogurt)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Add frozen spinach and artichokes to large saucepan over medium heat..
Original says sprinkle with salt but I hate the taste so I didn't add it.


Here is where you are supposed to make the cashew flour. Please see original if you chose to make it with cashews.

Instead, I mixed my seasonings together..


Measured about 3/4 cup Fage Greek Yogurt..


And started mixing both together with the spinach and artichokes that I had transferred to a bowl.



In all, I ended up adding about 1cup of greek yogurt.


Paired it with these chips I found at Ingle's!


The seasoning's that went into this dip made it absolutely delicious! I had plenty left over and thought it would be a healthy snack for the next couple days! Sweet potato chips do sound amazing with it.. need to find a recipe for that.. My sweet potato fries never turn out crispy so I need to look into that recipe.

PaleoOMG had a second version with 2 ounces of goat cheese. I picked some up at the grocery store and completely forgot to add it! Oh well!

signature

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed By Poppiness Designs