Wednesday, October 1, 2014

DIY PHOTO CANVAS


I love, love, love me some pictures!
One of my favorite things is to look thru the old and the new and reminisce on all the memories. 
I have always considered myself a picture freak and love having tons and tons of photos ALL over the house! 
Coach says we have enough in our home already but I beg to differ.. ha. We needed just a couple few more on the walls. 
Which brings me to this project.
I have been putting off ordering one of our wedding photos on a nice canvas because I did NOT want to pay $100+ for just ONE. 
This project was SUPER easy, I did all of these in one night, and did NOT spend hundreds of dollars doing so.

I already had the largest canvas and the 8x10.. The only purchase I made was the 11x15 canvas and my poster prints. 
BONUS: I buy my canvas' at Michael's and get their coupons online. This particular day, I scored a 50% off. WHOOP WHOOP!

You will also need:

matte MOD PODGE
sponge brushes
black paint
cutting tool (to trim the photos)


I started out by applying MOD PODGE to a blank canvas, added the photo on top, and from the center started working out all of the air bubbles.
After letting your photo COMPLETELY dry, trim the edges to fit the canvas.


And paint the edges black.


This next step is where you will give your photo the 'textured' canvas look. Paint the mod podge over the photo.. I took a generous amount on my brush and made sure to coat it evenly. 


I then took an extra canvas and pressed it on top of the wet mod podge. 

tip:: The first time I did this there wasn't much of an impression. So I recoated the section, pressed the canvas to it again, and this time ran my hand over the back of the canvas to make sure there was enough of an impression when I removed the extra canvas. 
You do NOT have to take a lot of time on this part. 
Do this quickly.


This is what it should look like while its still wet...


Set your canvas aside and let dry. 
I PROMISE you will LOVE it when it dries!

Now onto the BIG project.
My poster that I had printed didn't quite cover my canvas all the way. So I opted to paint what the photo wouldn't cover with black.



I did just as before, painted the MOD PODGE on the canvas, and applied my photo. This one was a little trickier because I had to make sure it was even around the edges. When everything finally measured up right, I started from the center working out all the air bubbles and set aside to dry.
Whew! I had to work fast!

 After it dried, I got to work and played it safe by working in smaller sections. 


 And let it dry!

 FINISHED PRODUCT

diy photo canvas tutorial

diy photo canvas tutorial

diy photo canvas tutorial
Our bedroom

I absolutely LOVE how they all turned out!
After we got the middle photo up in our living room, I decided there needs to be another 8x10 to make a little collage. I'll be getting to work on that this weekend! 

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed By Poppiness Designs