Thursday, March 28, 2013

Sassy Sewing is Born

So my BFF can sew the mess out of some fabric. 
She makes custom kids clothes, from Pillowcase Dresses, Shortalls, Tutu's, Belts you name it. 
I had mentioned way back when that I would love to have my very own sewing machine.. and that's just what I got as a wedding gift. 

I. Was. So. Excited.

And because she is the best ever and gives THE best gifts, I received this Amy Butler book below for Christmas...


.. and for my first project will be attempting to make the hand bag on the cover.

The book is absolutely awesome. 
It gives you so many tips, starter information on fabrics, lists of basic tools you will need for every project and the list goes on!

Last Monday we were able to get together, pull this baby out of the box, and get to it!
I pretty much just learned the basics, she gave me a tutorial, and after initially sitting down in front of it and staring for a good 15 seconds, I finally got my hands on it.
I wound my first bobbin, threaded the machine, and even practiced on a scrap piece of fabric.
I don't think my first time was too shabby at all.
Well, since home ec in HS.. and let's just face it.. THAT has been a while.

Tuesday I had a chance to go to Hobby Lobby and picked out fabric for my first project!
I was soooo proud of myself and Amber said I did awesome for my first time!



I needed three different patterns.

The white flower fabric will be for the exterior..
the brown/teal fabric will be for the handle, side pocket lining, button, and button loop..
And the lime/white will be for the lining.

I still have a few more items to get but I plan on getting started on my day off Saturday!

Who knows how long it will take me but I promise to update when it's finished!



2 comments:

Ashley Swindell said...

I'm lovin' the fabric you chose! That handbag is going to be fabulous!!

I, too, wish I could sew. I don't own my own sewing maching... yet... but it's on my bucket list to learn! LOL

xo, Ashley @ Horseshoes & Pearls
horseshoesandpearls.blogspot.com

Julie Jinks said...

I'm digging the fabric patterns! They'd look good in my dining room :-) Can't wait to see the finished bag.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed By Poppiness Designs